This chili is not only delicious, but it’s easy to make, too! Chicken chili is also known as white chili because it has chicken as the main ingredient instead of beef. It freezes well and is terrific on a cool autumn afternoon paired with a salad.
Here’s a hint: You can use our spice combo for the chili, or you can use a packet of chicken taco seasoning. We recommend you use our spice combo because it is far lower in sodium than packaged seasoning mix.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 or 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts – chopped into pieces
- 1 medium white onion – diced
- 2 large cans of great northern beans – drained and rinsed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon salt,
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Add the rinsed beans to a bowl and lightly mash about half of them with a fork.
- In a large pan or pot, heat the oil and add the chicken and onions and cook on medium heat until the chicken is onions are soft and chicken is starting to cook through.
- Add the chicken stock, spices, and beans to the stock and simmer for approximately 20-30minutes.
- Taste the broth for seasoning and adjust to taste.
- With two forks, gently shred the chicken in the pan, and stir, allowing the chili to continue to cook for another 10 minutes on low to medium heat.
How can you have chili without toppings? When you serve your chili feel free to use your imagination and add any (or all) of these tasty toppings!
- Shredded cheese
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Guacamole or diced avocado
- Diced tomato
- Chopped green onion
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Fresh lime juice
Enjoy your chili! We would love to know what you think of this recipe!